Sunday, February 5

Content

Now that I have looked into the practical aspects of this project and done all the artist research I need, I can start thinking about what I'm going to do with it all. It was always my intention to link this project with my Final Major Project through the fairy tale / monster content.

My options were to either;
Do a range of stories, tailored to the paper engineering aspect in question (e.g. The Princess and the Pea would be perfect for embossing),
or
Focus on one story, making effectiveness comparisons between pieces easier.

Due to the potential for a fairer conclusion, and to not overload myself with work, I have chosen to focus on one story. I originally wanted this project to focus on more well known, traditional fairy tales or monsters than my FMP might do, but if I can tie it in with my FMP so that any pieces can be a part of either project that would be fantastic.

I have chosen Little Red Riding Hood for the following reasons:

  • It is a well known, traditional fairy tale everyone has heard. Therefore the iconography will be instantly recognisable.
  • It can fit into my Major Project due to the wolf - he could be classed as a 'monster', or taken to another level and turned into a werewolf.
  • The story gives me quite a few traditional fairy tale aspects and characters to work with: a young maiden, a grandmother, a talking animal, a wolf, disguise, a forest, a cottage.
In order to effectively link it to my Major Project I will treat the story in the same way as regards art style and character design. This means I will look at the origins of the fairy tale to influence the style in which I draw it.

LITTLE RED RIDING HOOD - information.

  • The story is apparently originally French, though other countries have their own versions, and the tale may have oriental roots.
  • The first version to be published was in 1697 by Charles Perrault.
  • Early variations (before the 1697 publication) sometimes had the wolf as a werewolf or ogre,
  • The wolf would sometimes leave the grandmother's blood and meat for the girl to eat,
  • Sometimes the wolf would ask the girl to remove her clothing and toss it in the fire,
  • The girl is sometimes invited into the bed with the wolf, where he eats her. No happy ending.
  • The Brothers Grimm recorded a "sequel" in which the girl and the grandmother, having been saved by the woodsman, and based on their experience with one wolf, trap and kill another.
 Since the tale is French and first published in 1697, I have decided to look at French art from around that time to inform my style. The tale was published around the end of the Baroque era, and the beginning of the Rococo era, so I shall take elements of Rococo design into my drawings.

Rococo developed as a reaction against the strict rules of Baroque. "Rococo artists opted for a more jocular, florid and graceful approach to Baroque and and architecture. Rococo art and architecture in such a way was ornate and made strong usage of creamy, pastel-like colours, assymetrical designs, curves and gold."


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Red_Riding_Hood
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rococo